Every June, Yspaniola hosts a Summer Camp: a two to three week long enrichment program in which international volunteers work side-by-side with members of the community to provide a fun and educational experience for over 105 children in Batey Libertad.
Campers participate in a diverse range of activities including:
– Arts and crafts (one year, each camper created an individualized mask)
– Sports (baseball, soccer, relay and obstacle courses)
– Health (in 2015, campers studied physical fitness and nutrition)
– Theatre (in 2019, we organized skits, imitation games, and body language)
– Music (a few years ago, campers learned the history of music and dance from the Dominican Republic and Haiti and each camper made their own maracas)
– Preschool (since 2016, we also include younger children into our camps)
– Special classes (in 2017, our oldest campers learned about photography and public speaking!)
Yspaniola staff, volunteers, and community members design these activities to encourage campers to be creative, inquisitive, active, and healthy.
Healthy & Active
Arts & Craft
Healthy & Creative